Best Can Openers For Seniors With Arthritis
Seniors with arthritic hands require a can opener that does not make them experience any pain at all. Pick an opener that will not require the elderly with arthritis to use a lot of strength or effort to operate. The opener should be a bit stylish and, of course, highly functional. Also, consider the price of the can opener for elderly people that you want to buy.
Below is a list of some of the best can openers for arthritic hands.
How Much Do Jar Openers Usually Cost
For the most part, jar openers are affordable, with a good number of the manual type selling for less than $10 and an equally large number selling for between $10 and $15. There is no fixed range, though, and youll come across manual units that cost more than $25, like The Pampered Chef Jar Opener.
Automatic jar openers are often more expensive than manual ones, with models like the instecho Automatic Jar Bottle Opener going for more than $40. You can find plenty of good ones with prices between $10 and $25, and a few in the $3035 range. You could also come across discounted offers for both manual and automatic jar openers, and these can significantly bring down the cost.
If the jar opener has several extra features, such as ergonomic soft grip and dual style of use in The Pampered Chef, you can expect the price to be a little higher, in which case it may be justifiable to pay more for it, so always weigh your options.
Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener: Open Your Cans With A Simple Push Of Button
$ as of January 5, 2022 7:51 pm
- The last electric can opener you’ll needThe Kitchen Mama automatic can opener is the best hands-free can opening solution for you! 4 AA batteries make it work like a charm! **Batteries not included**
- Easy operationTwo taps to open any cans with our electric can opener. Push the button to turn it on. It cuts cans 360° along the lid. Push the button again to stop — EASY!
- Safety designThe blade cuts along the side of the lid without touching the food inside. Leave no sharp cuts. — SUPER SAFE!
- User-friendly, ergonomic designA great help for people with challenges gripping, best friend for elderly suffering from arthritis problem.
- Enjoy the best cooking experienceYour hands deserve to be treated like royalty! No effort. No injury. Save your energy. Save time. YES YOU CAN.
Also Check: How To Deal With Arthritis
Robo Twist Electric Jar Opener
There are so many different sizes of jars and cans so you may be wondering how one opener can help with all of them. Well, this robo twist opener can adjust to fit any size container so you will only need to purchase one tool.
Just position the opener over a lid and press the easy-switch button, then watch as it rotates to open lids. Its so easy to use that you may start to look forward to a task that many often dread and avoid.
Its small enough to pick up easily but weighs less than a pound so you dont have to exert yourself to get it on top of a jar. Its also compact which makes for easy storage and doesnt take up unnecessary room in your kitchen drawers.
Instecho Electric Jar Opener Restaurant Automatic Jar Opener For Seniors With Arthritis Weak Hands Bottle Opener For Arthritic Hands
Opening a jar can be a real challenge for healthy people, let alone for those suffering from a physical disability or injury. Thus, an electric jar opener like this one can be extremely helpful, as it requires absolutely no physical effort or maneuvering of the jar. The device just has to be positioned on the jar, more precisely on its lid, and have its button pressed. From that point on, it will take care entirely of the opening of the jar. The device is operated by two AA batteries. But, it is energy-effective, consuming very little energy each time it operates, so the batteries dont have to be replaced too often. In other words, it can become a reliable helper in anyones kitchen.
Also Check: What Does Arthritic Changes Mean
Train Your Grip Strength
Increasing your grip strength can go a long way toward helping you open jars with more ease and less pain, Zamoyski says. We dont often think of all the small muscles that make up our hands but they can be worked just like any other muscle. Using a grip strength trainer can help you target and strengthen the right muscles. You can use a squeeze model, like this grip strength trainer with rubber grips, or you can start smaller by using a squishy stress ball/hand strength trainer.
How Much Do Jar Openers For Elderly Cost
The good news about the best jar openers for seniors is that they are generally very affordable. It should be noted that the prices of these jar openers are largely attached to the size of the particular model and the additional features it has. The smaller the jar opener is, and the fewer features it has, the lower the price tag is.
This is the case with the Black & Decker JW200BM Lids Off Jar Opener. It is the largest unit on our list and has a lot of convenient features. Thus, it should be no surprise that it is the most expensive one, at roughly $200.
Aside from this jar opener, the rest products from our list cost much lower, somewhere between $10 and $40. For example, our Editors Choice, the EZ Off Jar Opener, runs at just $14, ensures excellent quality and fits all lid sizes.
As you can see, mechanical models dont have a high price tag. Still, some seniors would prefer a battery-powered model with the push-button operation, such as the Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener, which costs somewhere around $40.
You May Like: How To Deal With Arthritis
Is There Anything Else I Should Know
Reviews of a product are invaluable for identifying the flaws of an item and extra precautions you need to take when using it. When reading product descriptions, look for buzzwords like Upgraded, Improved Design, or 2022. Youll typically see them on the label or in the description. Often, customers will highlight this information in their feedback too.
These notes can alert you to the fact that there is a second-generation version of the opener. You may find an excellent deal on the old one, but chances are that the problems that prompted the redesign will affect your experience with it. Save yourself the aggravation and opt for the upgraded products to avoid the hassles a manufacturer has already identified.
Our advice is to stick with the latest one no matter what the price of the previous one. Remember that the manufacturers tend to modify their products once they start receiving feedback from customers that points them in the right direction for a better design. That process can also reveal issues in quality control to ensure that you dont get a defective one.
Finally, dont let price be the only deciding factor. The old saying about what you get is what you pay for applies to can and jar openers too. Think about how much you plan to use the product and let that information also guide your purchases. Youll likely find that if you invest in a decent item, youll make up for the higher cost in the long run.
Can The Jar Opener For Seniors Open Smooth Lids
While the best jar openers for older people can just about open any jar lids, not all of them, however, can open smooth or plastic lids. This is because the smoother lids are harder to grip, and you will need to read the product description to check whether this particular model is capable of opening those lids. As for the plastic lids, they are not sturdy enough for the teeth or jaws of the jar opener. If this is a dealbreaker for you, youre probably better off finding a jar opener that can open all types of lids.
Recommended Reading: Remedy For Arthritis In Fingers
Electric Can Opener Smooth Edge Automatic Can Opener For Any Size Best Kitchen Gadget For Arthritis And Seniors
as of January 5, 2022 7:51 pm
- 2022 Upgrade Can Opener Newly upgraded electric can opener adds four more convenient functions, 5 in 1 multifunctional can opener can not only automatically open cans, but also can pry open beer bottle caps, open can head buckle, etc., providing great convenience.
- Easy To Use Automatic Can Opener powered by 2 x AA batteries , opens the lid by releasing the pressure inside the Can, and most cans can be opened with the press of a button. It cuts the jar 360 degrees along the lid and then presses the button to stop.
- Safety Guarantee Electric Can Opener blade cuts along the side of the cup lid without leaving sharp edges, which means safer cutting and does not touch the food inside the lid and drop metal, doesn’t get hot at work, which is safe for people and food.
- Humanized Design Handheld Can Opener has an ergonomic lever, which is very comfortable to hold. It does not require physical labor, great for people with arthritis or sore hands, and it’s a great addition to Chef’s and Housewives.
- Ideal GiftProfessional and safe electric can openers are the perfect kitchen helper. It is an ideal gift for friends and relatives, as well as dinner table.
Electric Can Opener Safe Smooth No Sharp Edges Can Opener For Almost Size Can Best Gift For Women Senior With Arthritis Fits Perfect In Drawer
$ as of January 5, 2022 7:51 pm
- Smooth Edges Can Opener: The blade cuts along the side of the lid and leaves NO Sharps Edges, which makes cutting safer than regular opener.
- Easy To Use: The electric can opener is so incredibly easy to use. Just place it on the can and press the button, it will cutting cans 360° along the lid automatically. Powered by 2 x AA batteries. Save time.
- Suitable For Most Of Cans: The Kitchenmuh electric can opener perfects for almost all size of cans, a great help for for kitchen.
- User-friendly, Ergonomic Design: Just press a button to open your cans with ease. Perfect for left-handed person, disabled person and person whose hand is suffering pain or arthritis. A perfect size makes it easy to store in drawer.
- Best Gifts: Professional and safe electric can opener is an ideal kitchen gadget. It is a great gift for your parents, friends, family members or elders etc
Recommended Reading: Eggs Bad For Arthritis
Choosing The Right Best Can Opener For Arthritis
1. Select the right spec. Browse through the category at Amazon, and you will see a whole host of specifications.As a useful shortcut, just look at the prices. It will often tell you which products are more reliable or durable or powerful than others. It helps to know a little bit about what you are dealing with.
2. Look at customer satisfaction. See which products has the best rating. The best rating can help you understand how the product performed according to customers review.
3. Check the brand or manufacturer score. Less known manufacturer or brand tends to provide lesser quality product. Overtime, customers will provide feed backs which product performed the best.
4. Customer reviews. It would be the most important factor to consider. Customers leave feedback regarding their experience with the best Best Can Opener For Arthritis they purchased from Amazon.Every single review posted, it will help you to know whether the best Best Can Opener For Arthritis you want to buy good or bad.
We hope our recommendation can help.
PrimeaReviews is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.As an Amazon Associate, We earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you.
Which Is The Best Can Opener For Elderly Loved Ones
A senior needs a can opener that is not difficult to use. This is because most foods that can be easily cooked, nutritious foods come in cans. If the elderly person can open a food can and place it in a microwave oven, he/she will be more independent. Being able to heat up food and make coffee can improve a seniors eating habits.
There are different types of can openers. Some run on batteries and electricity while others need to be spun manually. Before purchasing a can opener for arthritic or elderly person, make sure you understand how it works. The following are some of the can openers found in the market.
Recommended Reading: Arthritis Skin Rash
Ergonomic Design Including A Handle
When selecting a can opener, Lomibao says its important to look for one with an ergonomic design, or modified handle, that follows the natural curve of the grip. This is necessary, Pedzinska explains, because the pain caused by arthritis eventually leads to decreased grip and pinch strength, making it even harder to use a can opener.
Stiffness in the hands will result in decreased finger range of motion, making it hard to even assume the position needed to grip or pinch properly, Pedzinska says. A feature to look for would be a handle that allows you to grip with your hand rather than pinch, and ideally one that will allow you to use the bigger joints and muscles in the body such as the shoulder.
Best Budget: Zyliss Lock N Lift Manual Can Opener
Made of plastic
The cost of adaptive devices for treating arthritis can easily rack up. Luckily, the Zyliss Lock N Lift features a few bells and whistles without breaking the bank. While the opener features a manual design, it includes two notable details that reduce effort and keep things mess-free. The lock part of the name comes from a mechanism that locks the cutting wheel in place, leaving less strain on your hand. And the lift part comes from a built-in magnet that lifts the lid off the can, making it easier to dispose of. Plus, the handle is ergonomically designed with non-slip grips for easy grasping.
A few downsides are that the opener is hand-wash only, and pulling and squeezing is involved, so it may be a better fit if your arthritis symptoms are more mild.
Type: Manual | Additional Features: Magnet to lift lid and allow for hands-free disposal
You May Like: Muscle Arthritis Treatment
Products Which Are Offered For Sale On This Website Which Qualify For Vat Relief To Be Claimed For An Eligible Person
The products which can be bought without paying VAT are:
- adjustable beds, chair lifts, hoists and sanitary devices
- low vision aids
- equipment and appliances designed solely for use by chronically sick or disabled people.
Only the products on our site carrying the VAT exemption price are eligible to be purchased this way and you must tick the box on the basket page indicating that you wish to claim VAT exemption on the items in your basket that are eligible for VAT relief.
Electric Can Opener With Bottle Opener Pop Top Opener Knife Sharpener Extra
This particular item will look great in a kitchen, as it can be easily placed on a countertop and used whenever it is necessary. In the top part, the device features a special head that helps with opening glass bottles. When required to open cans, you just have to mount the special can opener and turn the device on. It is worth mentioning that the can opener must be plugged into a power source. In order to open a can, just place the can in the designed space and allow the opener to do its job, after pressing its button. Once youre done using the device, it will turn off on its own, so you dont have to worry about it or deposit any kind of effort. This device also has a special section for sharpening kitchen knives, also without any effort from the user. Also, it is safe to wash this device in the dishwasher, when needed.
Also Check: Can You Stop Rheumatoid Arthritis
What Is The Best Can Opener For Someone With Arthritis
People who suffer from arthritis of the wrist and hand may experience symptoms like pain, stiffness, and swelling, which make it difficult to grasp objects. When it comes to traditional can openers that you have to clasp with one hand and twist with the other, a seemingly simple task can become quite difficult and tiresome. As an alternative, arthritis sufferers may find that using an electric can opener makes their lives much easier, as they often dont require more effort than pushing a button or lever. More specifically, a standing can opener, like the Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener , doesnt need to be held while in use, though the Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener is a user-friendly handheld option for those with limited counter space.
That said, there are manual options available for people who dont want to rely on batteries or cables to power their can openers, like the Swing-A-Way Easy Crank Can Opener , which has ergonomic handles and soft-cushion grips for easy maneuvering.
We did extensive research and found some of the best can openers around for arthritis sufferers, both manual and electric. Take a look at our picks, so you can choose a can opener thats right for you. Whether you need to pry open ring-pull cans or tackle an extra tall tin, theres an option at every price point. Keep scrolling to shop Womans Worlds picks for the best can openers for arthritis sufferers below!
See more of our best product recommendations.