Wrap Braces For The Thumb
This is a textile thumb brace that can not only be worn in everyday life or in leisure time, but also during sports. its often used when it comes to treating osteoarthritis, rheumatic diseases or arthritis within the metatarsophalangeal joint of the thumb, for example it is fixed using a Colecast fastener, which can be perfectly adjusted to the respective size. the fabric is breathable, offers a high level of comfort and primarily ensures that the thumb has a high degree of stabilization.
Should I Sleep In My Thumb Brace
Yes, depending on the condition of your thumb joint. A 2018 research review suggests that continuous use of a thumb brace throughout the day and into the night could be required to properly rest the thumb and make sure it stays in an ergonomic position.
That said, its best to check with your doctor or physical or occupational therapist about how to best use your brace.
Excellent And Less Expensive
Love this brace! The extra bands are perfect for quick changing when you get them wet or dirty. Comfortable and fast delivery!!Will probably order one for my Mom’s arthritis as well. Won’t need 30 return but was nice to have the option
Excellent product. So comfortable and pain relief is instant.
You May Like: Remedies For Arthritis Pain In Hands
What Are Thesymptomsof Thumb Arthritis
Pain at the base of the thumb – Experiencing pain in the thumb pad or base of the thumb, where the hand meets the wrist – is often the first and most common symptom. The pain can occur in different forms:
· Dull pain
· Sharp pain that hurts when you use the thumb
Pain or weakeness when grasping, gripping or pinching f.i. zipping up a jacket, turning a key or opening a jar.
- Inflammation and stiffness at the base of the thumb is another sign of thumb arthritis.
- Limited range of motion – As thumb arthritis advances, weakness may increase with a loss of mobility at the base of the thumb resulting in poor function of the hand and limiting your range of motion.
- Enlarged & bony-looking thumb joint – as the arthritis progresses even further, bone spurs may develop, resulting in a bump of the metacarpal or collapse deformity that becomes more and more prominent.
Whos atriskof Thumb Arthritis?
With roughly 300,000 cases in Australia, thumb arthritis is a fairly common condition. There are many risk factors known to boost the threat of arthritic development:
1. Women are at greater risk. Base-of-thumb osteoarthritis affects up to 1/3 of women over the age of 70. Women are 4 times more likely to contract thumb arthritis compared to men.
2. Post-menopausal women, over the age of 40.
3. Overweight people are at greater risk to develop thumb arthritis.
4. Genetic disposition can be a prevalent risk factor
5. Previous injuries sprains and fractures to the thumb joint
Surgical And Nonsurgical Treatments For Arthritis Of The Thumb
Arthritis is a condition that causes inflammation and cartilage loss within the joint. There are several types of arthritis. The most common typeosteoarthritis, or wear-and-tear arthritisoccurs commonly in the joint at the base of the thumb, where the thumb meets the wrist. This joint, called the carpometacarpal joint or the basilar joint, is important when trying to grip or pinch. Thumb arthritis is more common in women than men and increases in frequency over the age of 50 years.
Symptoms common in patients who have thumb arthritis include:
- Pain at the base of the thumb
- Swelling at the base of the thumb
- Grinding sensations when moving the thumb
- Painful and limited movement of the thumb
- Difficulty gripping
- Pain when opening jars, turning keys, etc.
Most people who have arthritis in the thumb report that their symptoms are worsened by activities, particularly repetitive activities. People who work with their hands, such as manual laborers, or even people who enjoy activities such as knitting or woodworking may notice pain at the base of the thumb as they continue their activities. In fact, those who have an occupation with repetitive movements are twice as likely to develop localized osteoarthritis. Many people with this condition find themselves rubbing or massaging the base of their thumb in order to relieve the discomfort.
Don’t Miss: Best Treatment For Arthritis Pain In Hands
Best Thumb Braces For Cmc Thumb Arthritis
Updated 12-5-2021: If you have CMC Thumb Arthritis, youve most likely done your homework on how to manage the pain at the base of your thumb. Through your research you probably learned that a brace can help rest your thumb and reduce your pain to allow for better movement and less wear and tear on the thumb joint. You probably also discovered, there are dozens and dozens of thumb braces to choose from. From soft fabrics to molded plastics, how do you narrow down your options to choose the right one? To help, weve compiled a list of the top thumb braces for CMC thumb arthritis.
Like other types of arthritis, CMC joint arthritis can be mild or severe and can get in the way of your daily activities. Depending on how youll be wearing the brace, you may want to consider one that allows some motion to let you move with it on and a more supportive brace to wear at night to rest your thumb. While wearing a thumb brace wont provide a cure, it can help reduce your pain and lessen the progression of arthritis so you have fewer problems later in life.
Effective Brace Recommended By My Occupational Therapist
Occupational Therapist recommended a similar brace like this but this was cheaper. Demonstrated its effectiveness on the first day of receiving it. Thumb started hurting so put it on and ache went away immediately. It’s also cheaper than the more expensive one with replaceable Velcro straps.
Also Check: Finger Joint Swelling Treatment
How Do I Put It On
You may find it helpful to leave the strap over the fingers done up so that you can slide your hand in or out. This means theres one less strap to undo.
Thumb Arthritis Is When First The Cartilage Of The Carpometacarpal Or Cmc Joint Wear Away And Becomes Inflamed And Swollen Resulting In Pain And Discomfort This Makes Simple Tasks Like Writing Typing Gripping Or Picking Up Objects Difficult
You may not expect it, but your thumb plays an important role in your everyday life. In 50% of all hand functions, the thumb is involved. You use your thumb to grasp objects, drive your car, open jars, dress yourself, operate tools, etc. When you are experiencing pain in your thumb, it becomes very difficult to use your hand.
You May Like: Is Peanut Bad For Arthritis
Looking For More Information On Thumb Braces
Our blogs are educational in nature and are not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Because your condition is unique to you, it is recommended that you consult with your health care provider before attempting any medical or therapeutic treatments. We are always happy to answer questions about products mentioned in our blogs, however, we cannot provide a diagnosis or medical advice.
Push Metagrip Cmc Thumb Brace For Osteoarthritis Cmc Joint Pain Stabilizes Thumb Cmc Joint Without Limiting Hand Function
- The most EFFECTIVE, COMFORTABLE, and DURABLE support for CMC osteoarthritis/arthritis, proven to relieve THUMB CMC joint pain and let you get back to doing what you love.
- Low-profile design is optimized for COMFORT and FIT, providing easy, ALL-DAY wear, even under a glove/clothing.
- Allows you to maintain your functional freedom, by stabilizing the thumb CMC joint without impeding other joints, giving you MAXIMUM HAND FUNCTION.
- CUSTOM, individualized fit around thumb muscles and two strap design offers unmatched COMFORT and STABILTY.
- Utmost DURABILITY thanks to the MetaGrips composition of PREMIUM, LATEX FREE, materials that resist abrasion, wont deform in hot environments and make the brace machine washable.
You May Like: Stiff Hands Treatment
Best Thumb Brace For De Quervains Tenosynovitis
With simple diagnoses now available, doctors can easilyidentify de Quervains tenosynovitis. It is essentially tendinitis at the base of the thumb. Usually it occurs in one of several ways, such as arthritis or trauma to the thumb.
Also, repetitively and forcefully gripping and releasing objects may be the culprit. This can produce thumb trauma and result in de Quervain’s tenosynovitis.
If you have this condition, moving your thumb while grasping or making a fist will cause pain. TheFinkelstein testcan determine this.
Here’s how it’s done. First, bend your thumb across the palm. Then close your fingers over the thumb. Now bend your wrist toward your little finger. This will cause pain in your thumb if you have de Quervains tenosynovitis.
The most severe cases of de Quervains tenosynovitis require surgery. However, in the majority of instances the condition is treatable with cortisone injections, bracing, and 6 weeks of rest. Therefore, the best thumb brace features to look for to treat de Quervain’s tenosynovitis arerigidityandcomfortin the thumb spica.
A rigid, comfortable thumb brace with a spica will help rest the thumb while the other fingers can work. Moreover, wear the brace with spica day and night, generally for the entire 6 weeks for maximum benefit.
Ordered Both Large & Medium
I ordered both a Medium and Large. My size was in between. Yes I read the returns was costly, but if I was going to spend $80 I wanted one that fit. I went with the medium. It gave the best support. When I went to return the large it only cost $3! The brace is very supportive and really helps. I went with this brace over similar because Velcro always wears out on braces and like it was replaceable on this one. I work at school so have to wash my hands a lot. This brace is great because I do not have to take it off. Will be eventually buying another so I can have one at work and home.
Read Also: Does Rheumatoid Arthritis Cause Itching
Other Causes Of Thumb Pain
There are other potential causes of thumb pain that need to be considered, especially if simple treatments for some arthritis do not help. Possible causes of thumb pain include:
Sometimes these conditions can mimic the symptoms of arthritis of the thumb, and they can also coexist along with arthritis of the thumb. If you were diagnosed with some arthritis, and your symptoms do not seem to be responding appropriately to treatment, your healthcare provider should evaluate for other potential causes of pain. Sometimes these other conditions may need treatment in order to alleviate your symptoms of discomfort.
If the pain is still not improved, and other conditions do not seem to be the source of your discomfort, it may mean that the treatments provided are not adequate to relieve your condition. In that case, more invasive treatments may ultimately become necessary.
Most Important Feature: Comfort
You might need a thumb brace for post-surgical support or after a minor injury . Either way, every patient, doctor, and manufacturer agrees that the best thumb brace feature to look for should becomfort.
Good comfort allows tissues to heal better in the 3-6 weeks that most thumb injuries require. But far too many thumb braces are uncomfortable or even painful to wear. And that healing period can be maddening if the thumb brace is uncomfortable.
Such generic thumb braces are usually sold at Walmart, Walgreen’s and CVS. They’re relatively inexpensive, but you may regret buying one after wearing it for a week.
Also Check: Acute Arthritis Attack
Drwelland Reversible Thumb & Wrist Stabilizer Splint For Blackberry Thumb
- Breathable FabricAdopting 3D patented breathable fabric, skin-friendly, soft touch, comfortable, lightweight, without perspiration and any restriction.
- Bendable SplintBendable splint can efficiently stabilize and support weak thumb while offering free movement of other digits.
- Perfect Fit With Adjustable StrapTwo adjustable straps fit for customized compression.
- Thumb Pain ReliefIt can stabilize and support your weak or injured thumb joint.
- Easy to UseIt is universal and adjustable.
Trigger Thumb Brace Corpower Thumb Spica Splint Thumb Spica Stabilizer For Pain
- Universal Thumb Brace: Suitable for CMC joint, Broken thumb, Skiers thumb, Trigger & Keeper Thumb, Sprained thumb, Scaphoid fractures,Chronic thumb injury protection and recovery.
- Removable Thumb Splint: Made of the highest grade neoprene, covered with stretch nylon and cotton fabric against the skin for your best comfort.
- Lightweight & Versatile design: User-friendly, allowing minor flexing at the thumb tip, breathable neoprene increases blood circulation to the region without excess perspiration.
- Humanization Design: The velcro straps make it easy to wear this thumb brace on either the right or the left hand It is also simple to put on and take off.
- Warranty: We provide perfect after-sale service,Shipping within 24 hours, with available tracking number.
Recommended Reading: How To Reduce Joint Swelling In Fingers
What Is Thumb Cmc
The carpometacarpal joint forms where the ends of the metacarpal bone at the base of the thumb and the trapezium bone in the wrist meet also called the basal joint. Smooth cartilage covers the ends of the metacarpal bone and trapezium bone. The cartilage allows the bones to glide easily during motion.
A2 Wrist Support Brace With Thumb Spica
An exceptional 2 in 1 brace to support your thumb and wrist. It is perfect for the people suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, ligament instability, tendonitis, game keepers thumb, splinting, and de Quervains tenosynovitis. This is a multi-functional brace that you can wear to treat a sprain, strains, and after surgery. The metal plates restrict the extra movement of the thumb and if you need extra flexibility to carry on your work then you can remove the metal plates.
This wrist support with thumb spica is crafted with the durable O-Prene material which is lightweight and comfortable to wear. In addition, this thumb brace is moisture-wicking and will keep your thumb dry and cool during the recovery process. The strong hooks and loop straps provide great adjustable compression thus you can adjust the compression you need.
- Limited stock
In short, Aircast A2 wrist support brace with thumb spica is a technology-based thumb brace. It not only protects the thumb from injuries but also supports the wrist and pain associated with various syndromes. Moreover, the removable metal plate of thumb braces protects the thumb from all directions. So, I will highly recommend this thumb spica splint on the basis of its quality and great features.
Also Check: What Can Be Done For Arthritis In The Back
Best Wrist Brace With Thumb Splints You Should Consider In 2022
Dr.Welland Reversible Thumb & Wrist Stabilizer splint for BlackBerry Thumb, Trigger Finger, Pain Relief, Arthritis, Tendonitis, Sprained and Carpal Tunnel Supporting, Lightweight and Breathable S/M Thumb Spica Splint & Wrist Brace Both a Wrist Splint and Thumb Splint to Support Sprains, Tendinosis, De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis, Fractures or Trigger Thumb Hand Brace for Carpal Tunnel (Right S/M
- Breathable fabrics for extended wear.
- Three adjustable straps for custom fit
- One Size Fits Most, measure around the wrist: 5.5″ – 10.5″
- Limits the movement of the thumb , but allows complete movement of the fingers. Ideal for use in case of injuries to the thumb joint, thumb sprains, Skiers Thumb, and osteo-arthritis
- Composition: POLYESTER 39%, NYLON 24%, PP 11%, RECYCLED PET 9%, SPANDEX 5%, PU FOAM 5%, TPU 4%, PU 3%
Hypermobility In Thumb Joint
I purchased a left and right. I was worried about the cost, but after one day of use, I am no longer worried. These have dramatically reduced my pain and increased my ability to use both of my hands. I wear them all day, and don’t have to wear them at night because my hands don’t hurt! These, combined with the Figure Oval-8 splints, have given me back my daily activities–gym, gardening,, cooking, ,cleaning, riding bike, etc. Have now used them for a week, and am just so pleased. The longer I use them, the less irritating the edges are . I do recommend the gel cushion insert.
You May Like: Rheumatoid Arthritis And Itchy Skin
What Are The Differences In The Thumb Braces
The thumb is an important part of the hand because almost all activities are carried out with its help. Injuries or illnesses often cause pain in the thumb area, so that not only mobility is restricted, but also full functionality. With the assistance of a thumb brace, the thumb is stabilized and the pain is relieved. In the following we would like to offer you a small overview of the different models in our thumb stabilizers:
What To Look For In A Thumb Brace
The first thing to consider when shopping for a thumb brace is which hand youll need the brace for. Manufacturers make thumb braces to fit either the left or the right hand, and some make them interchangeable so that you can wear them on either hand.
The next thing to consider is the level of comfort youll want while wearing the brace. Most conditions require wearing the brace for long periods or even continuously throughout the day and night so finding a brace thats comfortable is essential. The material should be durable and firm enough to restrict movement, without digging into or irritating the skin.
More severe forms of thumb osteoarthritis may require a brace that restricts movement of both the thumb and the wrist.
Read Also: What Really Causes Arthritis